A Geography and History of the County of Digby, Nova ScotiaBook - 1975
Book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1900. Not illustrated. Excerpt: ... CHAPTER XXIII. Nova Scotia Electric Telegraph And Its Successors--DomesTic Steamers And Telephone Lines. The amazing inventions of nineteenth century were far exceeding the most romantic conceptions of ordinary minds. Each improvement was quickly followed by another still greater in formation, and changeful in consequences. The Nova Scotia Electric Telegraph Company formed and incorporated by the Provincial Parliament in 1851, soon erected its Lines, throughout the Province, and established offices in principal towns. Charles Budd, Esquire, being appointed County Director, the office in town of Digby was opened December 3rd, 1855, in second flat of the store then owned and occupied by Edward M. Marshall, on eastern side of Water Street, a few rods from head of present steamboat Pier. John Robinson was first Operator. He received a salary of 25 per annum, payable by monthly instalments. The receipts for January, 1856, were 6 14s. 4id. At end of latter year, the paltry balance of one penny at Digby office appeared in favor of the Company. The expenditure, however, included some furniture not to be soon replenished. At close of 1859, after discharging all liabilities, reached 7 5s. 10 d. Telegraph was handsomely patronized by our people. Charles B. Robinson succeeded his father as Operator, November 1st, 1857, continuing to July 1st, 1859, when Miss Mary E. Smyth, took charge of the branch. In May, 1860, the American Telegraph Company, leased all Lines in Nova Scotia, and also controlled the enterprise from Newfoundland to New Orleans, Louisiana. The Lines in this County remained under same Director. An office existed in 1858 at Weymouth, C. D. Jones, Esquire, being Manager and Operator. William B. Stewart was Operator at Digby from 1863 to estab...
Publisher: Bellville, ON : Mika Publishing Company, 1975, c1900
Branch Call Number: 971.6 WIL 1975
Characteristics: 471 p